1968 - 1979

1968 - 1979

The Early Years

  1968

Cat Pumps officially opened its doors for business with the introduction of the "A" Series Model 400 Cat Pump (4.0 GPM, 700 PSI). Originally designed for the pressure wash market, this pump revolutionized both the car wash and pressure wash industries, providing 10 times the life of previous pumps.
 

  1969
 

Expansion of the Cat Pumps line with the "B" Series Model 1000 pump (10 GPM, 600 PSI) and the "C" Series Model 500 pump (5 GPM, 1000 PSI) began our growth into the industrial markets.

  1970
 

Introduction of the "T" Series Model 250 Twin Piston, ultra-compact pump for the pressure wash industry (2.5 GPM, 600 PSI). This pump also included one of our first accessories, the Pulsation Dampener.

  1971
 

Introduction of the "D" Series Model 2500 pump (25 GPM, 600 PSI) encouraged additional applications in the Food and Processing industries. Coordinating accessories were also introduced including Flow Sensitive Regulating Unloaders, Pulsation Dampeners, Pressure Gauges, Pressure Regulators and Ceramic Nozzles.

  1972
 

To meet the growing demand for the emerging carwash market in Europe, Cat Pumps went global, opening it's first international branch location in Belgium.  This branch location offered a full line of Cat Pumps inventory, sales, technical and service support.

  1973
 

Introduction of the Model 420 with its patented "Stepped-Sleeved Piston Rod" brought significant changes to pump construction, providing quick, simple and complete servicing of all wear parts from the wet end of the pump. This greatly reduced servicing time, parts and labor costs, and became a standard feature on all Cat Pumps.

To better serve the European market, Cat Pumps opened its second branch location in Germany, providing inventory, sales, technical and service support to western Europe.

  1974
 

Introduced a special Hi-Pressure Injection Pump called the Model 284. This pump was built with sleeved-type pistons and multiple V-Packings (0.6 GPM at 3000 PSI). Several other high pressure sleeved-type piston pumps followed later that year, including the 434 (4.0 GPM, 1750 PSI), 524 (4.5 GPM, 2150 PSI), 624 (3.0 GPM, 3000 PSI) 1024 (6.0 GPM, 3000 PSI) and the 1044 (10 GPM, 2000 PSI). It was model 524 that took the gas engine pressure washer market by storm and quickly became the industry standard. This same year a new Pulse Pump Injector Head was introduced. This mounted directly onto the piston pump discharge manifold and permitted chemical injection at pressures up to 1000 PSI.
 

  1975
 

Started the concept of "Modular Flexibility" permitting different flow and pressure combinations to be built from the same Frame size. This encouraged "minimum inventory" and "maximum application flexibility." This year also brought the Cat Pumps family to 57 different models in 5 Frame sizes.

To meet the need beyond U.S., Canada and Europe, a international division was started, based out of Zug, Switzerland, covering Asia, Africa, Australia and the Middle East.

Live Cat Pump demonstrations, applications, motorized cutaways and system accessories were demonstrated on-site, as the "Catmobile", the first high pressure pump demonstration van, began traveling across the U.S. in 1975.

  1976

Introduction of a new larger Frame size, the 45 HP, 60 Frame Series, including the Models 6020, 6040, 6024 and 6044 brought our capacity up to 60 GPM and maximum pressure up to 5000 PSI. This increased our application opportunities in agriculture, oil field, mining, central cleaning systems and large vehicle wash systems.

  1977
 

Cat Pumps answered the demand for Hi-Temp pumps for applications such as pumping Hi-Temp condensate back into boilers with the Model 2527 (later renamed the 2520C). This pump was rated up to 25 GPM, 1000 PSI at 210F and featured a specially ported inlet manifold to allow cool fluid to be circulated on the back side of the inlet seals for optimum life with Hi-Temp fluids.

  1978
 

Introduction of the "double seal" concept Plunger Pump, with the Lo-Pressure Seal providing lubrication for the ceramic plunger on the backside of the Hi-Pressure seal. This unique new seal design and the exclusive, specially formulated seal material offered exceptional life and higher pressure capabilities, further expanding Cat Pumps into the industrial market. 1978 and 1979 delivered 4 new Frame sizes including the 3 Frame Model 270, 5 Frame Model 310, 7 Frame Models 530 and 550 and the 15 Frame Models 650 and 1050.

  1979
 

Continued demand for our products internationally and industrially prompted the addition of our 4th international office, located in the United Kingdom. This was also a full service branch office offering inventory, sales and technical support.

 

PRODUCT SELECTOR
Search For:
Model #:
Type of
Accessory:
Flow Rate:
  gpm lpm
Pressure:
  psi bar
Drive Type:
Material:



Headquarters

1681 94th Lane NE
Minneapolis, MN 55449

Call Now

p. (763) 780-5440
f. (763) 780-2958

Contact Us

info@catpumps.com